Welcome to the new Insight

lclarke December 16, 2010 8

Welcome to the new Insight

On the 20th of December the Insight UK website is getting a substantial redesign. We have been working for over 6 months behind the scenes to improve the way we communicate and promote products and services to you.

Our objective has been to keep the easy to use, transactional process that the current site brings, and add new navigation and usability features to improve the experience you have when browsing through our product catalogues.

To help understand why the changes have been made, and the reasons for them we have put together a simple FaQ for you below. This includes some screenshots of the new site, so you are able to get a heads up on what changes are coming.

Why is the website getting a redesign now?

Over the last few years our business at Insight has changed dramatically. We have expanded the number of product lines we sell, and developed successful services and support businesses to help ensure that customers are looked after from start to finish of their interaction with us. To support this growth, and help promote our solutions better we have redesigned the site to focus on our core business area’s namely Products, Services, Licensing, Cloud and Deals. The new site gives us the opportunity to balance the transactional requirements offering deals to you, with our educational content updating you on industry news, new services and solutions etc. We have a great deal to offer our customers and we believe that the new site helps us promote this better than ever before.

What happens on the 20th

When you come to uk.insight.com on the morning of the 20th the site will have changed and our new web service will be live. We have worked hard to ensure that whilst the look and feel has changed, the fundamental search and navigation tools remain familiar and we are confident that you will only benefit from the changes, and have no issues in finding what you need.

What are the benefits?

We have focused on making the site easier to use and as a result have created a simple navigation that we feel is one of the most unique in the IT industry. This will allow our customers to find products quicker, but also to gather information on accessories and supporting products at the same time, keeping the time on the site as effective as possible. By implementing live cloud search we understand what other customers are looking for and can use this information to help you within your search too.

Below are some screenshots that show you the before and after for the site, focusing on a few key pages. We hope this gives you an introduction to what is coming on the 20th and we hope that you will be browsing around our new site very soon.?

Insight Before and After

Personally I believe the site innovations and the overall new design breaks the mould. That said design is fluid and compromised within minutes. It is our intention at Insight to continue our Best in Class approach to all that we do. We will continue to add new features and fine tune as we go in order to deliver you the best web purchasing experience available in todays market. Welcome to the new Insight.

8 Comments »

1. Chris Bardell January 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm - Reply

The new site’s ‘printable version’ pages are pretty rubbish, to be honest.

In both Firefox and IE, the printed copies are often mis-formatted, sometimes don’t even contain the product image, and often have a huge black area at the bottom – massive printer ink/toner wastage.

Proper printable pages (like the old site had) are relevant for corporate orders, like I’m trying to place. I usually print the printable page, and attach it to a PO for approval. But the printable pages aren’t up to much anymore, as per the above.

Should really have been spotted & fixed during testing. Appreciate if someone could fix now. Thanks.

2. Grant January 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Indeed, very buggy, very “new look”, which is not a good thing. Excessive use of dynamic elements. Fixed width areas of the screen mean lots of black space on wide screen monitors. Only 20 items per page max means finding things is slower than ever. Worst of all, the hard drive listing doesn’t show drive capacity as headline info!
    So many companies are rejigging their websites in this style, you, the BBC, even my own university is no exception! It’s not a good style. Really, it isn’t.

3. Matt January 5, 2011 at 9:42 am - Reply

Overall, the new web site is very pretty. To be frank, I am not interested in pretty web sites, I want something that works. Unfortunately, my colleagues and I are still struggling with the search facility, I have logged this with tech support and my account manager and my account managers manager and customer services and you get the usual latest trendy management reply” We are working hard to fix it”
    For example, I want to buy some LTO ultrium backup tapes, when I search for them, it says they do not exist. Sure, If I know the product code ,i.e. C7973A then it comes up as “HP – LTO Ultrium 3″ but when I then search for “HP – LTO Ultrium 3″ the tapes are not in the list! I logged a ticket with this and was told “There has been some changes to the search function and we are still making some updates as part of the new website.” then the ticket was promptly closed! I would expect this from a back street vendor, but not from a supposed large company like Insight..

• Laura Clarke January 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm - Reply

Hi Matthew

Thanks for your feedback regarding our new website and we apologise that you have experienced problems.

LTO media tapes can be found here http://uk.insight.com/en-gb/searchresults/media/lto-ultrium-media-tapes?K=lto+tapes

We are aware of search function issues and please be assured this is our number one priority. This is just phase 1 of our new website and more features and functionality improvements are planned throughout 2011. We hope you can bear with us during this transition period.

If you would like any further help please contact me directly.

Thanks
      Laura

4. Peter December 22, 2010 at 3:46 pm - Reply

The new website really looks as if it was pushed out of the door before it was ready.

Clicking on Hewlett Packard from the computing dropdown menu (why do they have to drop down so slowly?) results in a infinite redirect loop https://uk.insight.com/en-gb/brands/hp.

I think I’ll do my shopping elsewhere next time.

• Laura Clarke December 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Thanks for your valuable feedback, and apologies that you did not have a good first experience on the new website.

Unfortunatley we are experiencing some teething problems with the new site, and we are working hard to fix any issues. The HP search issue is a database problem and the web team are working on this as a priority. We hope to have this back up and running very soon.

5. Laura Clarke December 20, 2010 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are experiencing a few teething problems with the new site which we are working hard to fix. I will pass your comments to our web team to investigate

6. Terry December 20, 2010 at 1:35 am - Reply

Just had a look at the new site – buggy. Your logon fails verification and you have to logon again but this time it allows you on, but during this process your logon and password details are visible in the URL.

Then there’s page load fails..

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 00:09:35 GMT
    Server: Apache
    Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
    Last-Modified: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 00:09:35 GMT
    Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
    Pragma: no-cache
    Set-Cookie: sitecode=deleted; expires=Sun, 20-Dec-2009 00:09:34 GMT; path=/; domain=.uk.insight.com
    Content-Length: 59066
    P3P: CP=”OTI DSP COR CUR DEV TAI PSA PSD IVA IVD CONi TELi OUR LEG PRE”
    Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=98
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Content-Type: text/html;charset=iso-8859-1

Quotes | Insight UK<meta

….snip….

At least the search is a little better, but I don't appear to be able to search within results which is a pain, for example, I want to buy a notebook with HDMI. I search for HDMI I get nothing. I search for notebook and I see a list of suggestions and *6* laptops (only 6???) but lots of cases. I search for laptop hdmi I get no results. Under the old site I was able to find notebooks with hdmi. And if your wondering, search for dv8, eventually you find the notebook with hdmi.

Shame the statements page still looks rubbish.

I would like an option to turn off the menu dropdown – its too slow

Leave A Response »